Answer the following questions to help develop your cultural responsiveness.
Views about race and culture:
- What are my thoughts about racially and culturally diverse groups?
- What shaped my perspectives of individuals from groups different from my own?
- Do I believe my values and attitudes are superior to those of other groups?
- What types of interactions do I have with individuals from cultural groups that are different from my own?
- How does race and cultural background (i.e., mine or my students’) influence my teaching?
- What is the race or cultural background of those students with whom I have difficulty relating?
- What messages do I send to the class about race and culture?
- Do I treat all students with respect (e.g., correctly pronounce my students’ names when I speak to them or call on them in class)?
- Do I value the experiences my students bring to the classroom?
- Do I have prejudicial thoughts or allow prejudice to direct my actions in the classroom?