PALS: A Reading Strategy for Grades K–1
Take some time now to answer the following questions. Please note that the IRIS Center does not collect your Assessment responses. If this is a course assignment, you should turn them in to your professor using whatever method he or she requires. If you have trouble answering any of the questions, go back and review the Perspectives & Resources pages in this module.
- List five benefits of PALS. Explain why they are valuable to teachers or students.
- Compare and contrast the specific reading skills addressed by K-PALS and first-grade PALS.
- Compare the recommended method of grouping students for K-PALS to the method suggested for first-grade students.
- Imagine that you are Ms. Sweeney, a kindergarten teacher implementing PALS. Of your 20 students, one is absent, leaving one student without a partner. How would you ensure that each student could participate in your regularly scheduled K-PALS session?
- Imagine you are Mrs. Miselem, a first-grade teacher, and you are planning to implement PALS for the first time. What two steps might you take to promote a healthy team environment?