Teacher Induction: Providing Comprehensive Training for New Special Educators
Take some time now to answer the following questions. Please note that the IRIS Center does not collect your Assessment responses. If this is a course assignment, you should turn them in to your professor using whatever method he or she requires. If you have trouble answering any of the questions, go back and review the Perspectives & Resources pages in this module.
- List three specific challenges new special educators face. How can induction help new special educators meet these challenges?
- List five things school leaders should consider to increase the likelihood of making a good match between a new teacher and a position.
- Give two reasons why an induction program designed for all teachers will not meet the needs of special education teachers. Explain your reasons.
- The following video provides an example of responsive mentoring.
- Watch the video (time: 1:52).
- Describe the type(s) of content support provided.
- Describe the approach(es) to mentoring you observed.
- Imagine that you are a school leader responsible for hiring a teacher to fill the following middle school position:
Wanted: Special education teachers who teach math, science, or English. Certification in core content area preferred. Also should have the ability to work collaboratively with teams.
You have narrowed down the candidates to two, Rachel and Beatrice.
Rachel is certified to teach special education students in grades K–12. For the past two years, she has been an elementary school special education teacher. She has taught math, science, and English, but does not have a certification in any of these content areas.
Beatrice is a second-career teacher. For the past twenty years, she has worked in the corporate world. She is certified to teach mathematics to students in grades 7–12 and has passed the state’s special education certification test. This would be her first teaching job.
- Based on the limited information provided, which applicant would you hire? Explain your decision.
- List three specific induction goals you would establish for your new teacher.
- Describe how you would meet these induction goals using the comprehensive induction framework components presented in this module.