RTI (Part 5): A Closer Look at Tier 3
Take some time now to answer the following questions. Please note that the IRIS Center does not collect your Assessment responses. If this is a course assignment, you should turn them in to your professor using whatever method he or she requires. If you have trouble answering any of the questions, go back and review the Perspectives & Resources pages in this module.
- Compare and contrast the RTI model and the traditional method of identifying and serving struggling students.
- What are the two ways in which Tier 3 instruction differs from that provided in Tiers 1 and 2?
- What key instructional principles do research-validated reading interventions often include?
- Imagine you are a second-grade teacher. A student in your class, Fatima, is struggling with reading. Fatima is from Egypt. What should you consider before referring her for special education services?
- If Fatima is referred for special education services, describe at least two things you would do to ensure that her parents are informed of their rights as parents.
- Imagine Fatima has been receiving special education services and now it is time for an IEP annual review meeting. Her progress monitoring data indicate that, although at the beginning of the year Fatima was not making adequate progress in reading, in the last three months her scores have increased. If you were a member of the IEP team, what would you recommend? Justify your recommendations.