Accommodations to the Physical Environment: Setting Up a Classroom for Students with Visual Disabilities
Take some time now to answer the following questions. Please note that the IRIS Center does not collect your Assessment responses. If this is a course assignment, you should turn them in to your professor using whatever method he or she requires. If you have trouble answering any of the questions, go back and review the Perspectives & Resources pages in this module.
- What are the five important resources you should consult when setting up your classroom? What type of information can you obtain from each resource?
- Identify three safety considerations for setting up your classroom for students with visual disabilities.
- Evan requires several pieces of large electrical equipment. What does Ms. Milton need to think about when assigning him a desk?
- Based upon what you have learned in this module, discuss how the accommodations you might implement for students with visual impairments could benefit the entire class.
- Examine the two classroom arrangements below. Identify three areas of concern for students with visual impairments in the poorly arranged classroom and discuss how they have been addressed in the improved classroom arrangement.