What Do You See? Perceptions of Disability
View the movie below and then proceed to the Initial Thoughts section (time: 1:09).
The Challenge movie displays eight photographs that then combine to form a collage. A description of each image follows.
- Picture one: A woman of short stature works at a computer in an office.
- Picture two: A three-year-old boy smiles at the camera while holding two big red cups that are poised over a plastic tub filled with dry beans.
- Picture three: Five men who use wheelchairs play basketball on an outdoor court.
- Picture four: A man without arms on a stage plays a guitar using his bare feet and toes.
- Picture five: A teenaged boy with Down syndrome raises his arms in celebration of a great golf shot.
- Picture six: Three adults and a young girl in a wheelchair pose for a photograph in the park.
- Picture seven: A college-aged woman poses for a close-up photograph.
- Picture eight: A family of four—mother, father, and two adult sons—sit on a couch.
- Picture nine: A middle-aged man walks with his service dog.
The movie ends.
Here is your Challenge:
What did you see?
- What feelings did you have about the photos?
- What thoughts did you have about the individuals in this challenge?
- Do perceptions matter?