What procedures might Ms. Lin suggest?
Page 5: Discuss It
The next step is for Mr. Carter to introduce the second instructional stage in the SRSD model—discuss the strategy. In this stage, Mr. Carter will:
- Help his students to understand the benefits of using a strategy
- Teach his students to learn how and when to use a particular strategy
- Emphasize the importance of student effort, motivation, and self-talk
- Explain to his students that once they learn a strategy, they can use it during different kinds of activities and in different situations
- Describe ways to measure self-monitoring, a skill that can be helpful in understanding goal setting
Mr. Carter is teaching his class a writing strategy called WWW, What=2, How=2. Having discussed the writing strategy with his entire class, Mr. Carter next meets individually with those students who require more assistance. He begins by pointing out their current performance in a positive manner and then sets about helping these students to set goals and to monitor their own progress. For example, when Mr. Carter meets with Tanya, they determined that her goal will be to include all seven parts of a story rather than only three parts. In order to monitor her progress, he shows her how to track her performance.
To view a teacher discussing the WWW, What=2, How =2, click on the movie clip below (time: 1:17).