High-Quality Mathematics Instruction: What Teachers Should Know
Please answer the questions below. Please note that the IRIS Center does not collect your Assessment responses. If this is a course assignment, you should turn them in to your professor using whatever method he or she requires. If you have difficulty, go back and review the Perspectives & Resources pages in this module.
- Name and describe the components of high-quality mathematics instruction.
- Describe the purpose of Common Core State Standards for Mathematics. In addition, list at least five factors that explain why these standards are recommended and commonly adopted.
- Choose one of the scenarios below. Of the evidence-based practices discussed in this module:
- Select two to address the student’s needs.
- Explain why you chose these two EBPs.
Scenario 1: Elementary
Ali, a 3rd-grade student in Ms. Hunker’s class, has a learning disability in mathematics. When he attempts to solve word problems, Ali struggles to figure out whether he needs to multiply or divide. Though fluent in multiplication, he experiences some difficulty when doing long division, specifically remembering to implement all the steps.
Scenario 2: Secondary
Rebecca, a 10th grader in Mr. Haywood’s geometry class, struggles to master and apply the geometry rules related to polygons and the angles of polygons. When Mr. Haywood helps her work through a problem, she seems to understand what she is doing, but she is currently unable to work through the problems independently. Mr. Haywood notices that she often draws her figures inaccurately and sometimes does not draw a figure at all.
- View the video clip below. Identify as least one EBP or effective classroom practice discussed in the module. Describe how the practice(s) benefits the students and helps them to solve the problem (time: 2:10).
- The module discussed three classroom practices (i.e., encouraging student discussion, presenting and comparing multiple solutions, assessing student understanding).
- Select any two and describe their importance for teaching mathematics.
- Discuss how you plan to put these practices into effect in your own classroom.