High-Quality Mathematics Instruction: What Teachers Should Know
Perspectives & Resources
After reviewing the Perspectives & Resources section and completing the accompanying activities, you should be able to:
- Understand the importance of providing high-quality mathematics instruction
- Identify the components of high-quality mathematics instruction
- Recognize the need for implementing a standards-based mathematics curriculum
- Describe some evidence-based practices for teaching mathematics
- Recognize effective classroom practices that promote and support the implementation of high-quality mathematics instruction
This IRIS Module aligns with the following licensure and program standards and topic areas. Click the arrows below to learn more.
CAEP standards for the accreditation of educators are designed to improve the quality and effectiveness not only of new instructional practitioners but also the evidence-base used to assess those qualities in the classroom.
- Standard 1: Content and Pedagogical Knowledge
CEC standards encompass a wide range of ethics, standards, and practices created to help guide those who have taken on the crucial role of educating students with disabilities.
- Standard 5: Instructional Planning and Strategies
The DEC Recommended Practices are designed to help improve the learning outcomes of young children (birth through age five) who have or who are at-risk for developmental delays or disabilities. Please note that, because the IRIS Center has not yet developed resources aligned with DEC Topic 8: Transition, that topic is not currently listed on this page.
- INS6. Practitioners use systematic instructional strategies with fidelity to teach skills and to promote child engagement and learning.
InTASC Model Core Teaching Standards are designed to help teachers of all grade levels and content areas to prepare their students either for college or for employment following graduation.
- Standard 2: Learning Differences
- Standard 8: Instructional Strategies
When you are ready, proceed to Page 1.