Related Services: Common Supports for Students with Disabilities
Take some time now to answer the following questions. Please note that the IRIS Center does not collect your Assessment responses. If this is a course assignment, you should turn them in to your professor using whatever method he or she requires. If you have trouble answering any of the questions, go back and review the Perspectives & Resources pages in this module.
- Describe what related services are and how they help students with disabilities in school environments.
- Why do you think there is such a wide range of related services and why is this important to students who have disabilities?
- Once a student is determined to be eligible for special education and related services, what decisions must the multidisciplinary team make about the delivery of the related services? Discuss at least three.
- In your own words, briefly describe what school social workers or school psychologists do and how they help students with disabilities.
- Serena is a second grader who has Down syndrome. She has articulation difficulties and balance and gross-motor control issues and is highly distractible in the classroom setting. What related services might be beneficial for this student and why?